Use App for best experience!
Available for Android & iOS
Mercury (Hg) is relatively non-toxic in its elemental form. If Hg(0) is chemically modified to the ionized, inorganic species, Hg(2+), it becomes toxic. Mercury (Hg) is relatively non-toxic in its elemental form. If Hg(0) is chemically modified to the ionized, inorganic species, Hg(2+), it becomes toxic. The quantity of mercury (Hg) found in blood and urine correlates with degree of toxicity. Hair analysis can be used to document the time of peak exposure if the event was in the past. Normal whole blood mercury is usually below 10 ng/mL. Individuals who have mild exposure during work, such as dentists, may routinely have whole blood mercury levels up to 15 ng/mL. Significant exposure is indicated when the whole blood mercury is above 50 ng/mL if exposure is due to alkyl Hg, or above 200 ng/mL if exposure is due to Hg(2+). Ref. value: <10 ng/mL
At least three days before specimen collection, the patient should refrain from consuming fish that are predators, such as swordfish, tuna, and shark. When administering contrast media containing gadolinium or iodine, a specimen shouldn't be collected for